The Avenue Market, formerly known as Lafayette Market, opened in 1871. After a 1953 fire, merchants continued business in a makeshift shed until the new location opened across the street in 1957. Lafayette Market ended its run in 1996 when a complete renovation turned it into today’s Avenue Market. The 34,000-square-foot market features a variety of products, regularly offering produce from local growers, and scheduled family-friendly activities for community residents, institutions and visitors.
A new vision is emerging for the Avenue Market located along historic Pennsylvania Avenue in the Upton neighborhood of West Baltimore. The vision is to establish the market as an economic hub for local African-American entrepreneurs focused on equitable and sustainable growth. The goal is to provide healthy food access and support local farmers while simultaneously working with entrepreneurs to scale their businesses and create career-path employment for local residents.
VENDORS AT THE MARKET
- Douglas Fried Chicken 443-686-1711
- Hellen’s Breakfast & Lunch 410-883-1177
- Mary’s Carry Out/Mary’s Kitchen 410-462-7163
- Taste Good 410-813-7028
- J&C Bakery 443-686-1711
- Just Juice It 410-462-2855
- No Boundaries/Fresh at the Avenue 443-675-6893
- ATM Bank of America 410-242-7744
- Boss Cash Avenue 410-225-9968
- Pennsylvania Avenue Main Street Office
The Avenue Market
1700 Pennsylvania Ave
Baltimore, MD 21217